When a baby cries, it is usually to convey some feeling that they cannot convey with words yet. It could be hunger, discomfort, sleepiness, or any other reason. However, sometimes, it can be very difficult to understand why your baby is crying, and no matter what you do, your baby just will not stop crying. During those times, it is understandable if you do not quite understand why your little one is crying, but just want to soothe them and put them back to sleep. Here are some effective remedies you can try to soothe your crying baby. These methods have proved effective for most babies.
Use soothing sounds
Have you noticed how loud sounds usually make your baby cry? Soothing sounds have the exact opposite effect. Soothing sounds can often calm a baby down. You could try a variety of calming sounds, such as white noise, the sound of a womb, recorded clippings of a heartbeat, the sound of a shower running, among others. You could also try using household appliances like a dishwasher or a washing machine. You have to keep switching between these sounds to figure out which works best for your baby. You could use any of these sounds to calm your baby down whenever they are upset. Holding them tightly against your chest while you do so can prove to be an added advantage.
Make use of mellow motion
You must have noticed how sometimes babies stop crying after they have been picked up and walked around with. This is known as using mellow motion as a remedy for fits of crying.
Most babies can be comforted by the use of smooth rhythmic motions, such as being rocked while sitting in a rocking chair, hammock, or swing. You could also take your baby for a walk or a car ride; just make sure you strap them in their stroller or car seat properly so that they are safe.
You could try different kinds of movements to see which works best for your little one. However, refrain from placing them on top of any vibrating objects such as a dishwasher or a washing machine; they might fall off.
Body contact is often comforting
For a few months after their birth, babies are often more comfortable when they are in surroundings that remind them of the womb since they are familiar with it. To create such an atmosphere, you could tightly swaddle your little one in a blanket and then gently pat them on the back in a rhythmic manner, which closely resonates with what your heartbeat must have felt like to them. You could also lie down with your young one close by your side, or you could opt to keep them close to your body in an infant sling while you move about. Body heat or any kind of heat, in general, can be comforting for your baby, so a warm bath too can help your crying baby soothe or calm down.
You can also try the 5 S’s
Many pediatricians all over the world advise using the method of 5 S’s, which is an amalgamation of a bunch of cry-relieving techniques, that can be used to soothe your crying young one. This method has been proven effective since it creates a womb-like atmosphere that helps soothe babies.
Here is what you need to do
1. Swaddling: Hold your baby close to your body while they are wrapped tightly in a blanket.
2. Side soothing: Also known as stomach-soothing, this method requires you to lay your baby on their stomach or side. Be very careful that your baby does not fall asleep in this position, as it increases their risk of SIDS. you can use this method when you think your baby is acting colicky, and if you see them falling asleep on their side or their stomach, lay them on their back immediately.
3. Shushing: Making the “shhh” sound has proved to be very effective when it comes to soothing a crying baby. The sound is very calming to them and helps them soothe themselves very quickly.
4. Swinging: Gently swinging your baby from one side to the other while holding them close to you can also be an effective method to soothe them when they are upset or crying.
5. Sucking: Finally, if none of this works, you could try feeding your baby. They might be hungry. If feeding does not work, or you have recently fed your aby, you could offer them a pacifier. The sucking motion can help soothe your crying baby as well.
Nightly routine before bed
Babies should be put in a nightly routine before bed so that they can get habituated to sleeping at a certain time. There are some things you could do before bed to help your baby sleep for longer hours soundly.
● Indulge in calming and peaceful activities with your baby like giving them a warm bath, followed by a lotion massage. This can help keep them calm and relaxed, allowing for a night of sound sleep.
● Quieten and tone down the atmosphere of the house after sunset, preparing them for bedtime.
● Indulge in quiet activities that do not make your baby hyper or irritable.
● Do not cover your baby with a heavy blanket when you put them to sleep. Instead, opt for a light sheet.
● Similarly, do not make your baby wear thick heavy clothes to bed. A light, loosely fitted pajama will do just fine.
Your baby will most likely be crying out of some need, such as hunger, discomfort, or sleepiness. While it might be tough for you to figure out what the reason is, it will help you a lot if you can manage to stay calm yourself. If you get frustrated and lose your cool, it will only irritate your baby further. Therefore, keep a calm mind and try any of the aforementioned methods to see which one works best for your little one.